The pre-adoptive home we were staying in was located in Hyde Park, which is an old neighborhood a few blocks south of downtown. The homes in this area range from small bungalows to 3-story homes that are so big that they can easily be split into two apartments. There's a 122 year old home in the area that caught my attention when it was on the market a few years ago. I remember driving past it with David and his mom. I'm pretty sure that they even looked through the windows of the house, which they have been known to do. It was a home that was a little more beautiful than the rest. It appeared to be on a double lot and had a gorgeous tree standing next to it.
A few months later, I saw a picture of the house with a link to a blog of the new homeowners. They used to blog to track their complete renovation of the home. It's been interesting to see how they transformed an old home into something very unique and modern. I hadn't seen an update from the blog in my blog reader for a while, so I was surprised to see a new entry when I checked it the Sunday after Violet was born. The day she was born happened to be an especially beautiful autumn day and I think the following post captures how beautiful Kansas City was at that time.
"The Circle
I woke up this morning with Johnny Cash’s baritone rumbling through my brain, “Will the circle be unbroken, by and by, Lord, by and by.” I am certain it had to do with last night, reading Psalm 26, “I scrub my hands with purest soap, then join hands with others in the great circle, dancing around your alter, God, singing God-songs at the top of my lungs, telling God-stories. God I love living with you; your house glows with your glory.” There is usually 2 wks in the Autumn where God’s House glows in reds, oranges, yellows and grass green -- where the air is crisp enough for sweaters and blazers -- just before the trees are more empty than full. It is the 2wks that get you through the winter and reward you for surviving the summer heat. It occurs after the school year routine has settled and before the holidays begin and there is just this sweet season of being in the moment and enjoying right now, some time of reflection and some time of hope, but mostly a present celebration. There is simply a glimpse of heaven. That was today."

oooo! I want to see that house! That has never been on the KC agenda before. They sound like wonderful people~
ReplyDelete